New Zealand’s online casino licence race is officially underway, and that’s because the Department of Internal Affairs (DIA) opened the Expression of Interest (EOI) stage on Friday, 17 July. This gives prospective operators until 11:59 pm on 14 August to submit their submissions. Doing so is the first formal step towards a regulated market where up to 15 licenced online casinos will be allowed to operate within New Zealand.
EOI submissions go through the Government Electronic Tenders Service and carry a $19,000 fee, plus a minimum capital requirement of $7.5 million. Applicants also need to supply ownership structures, platform descriptions, credit reports, criminal clearances, disclosure of any prior regulatory breaches.
How the Three-Stage Process Works
If an EOI is accepted, it unlocks the second stage of the process, which is a September auction of the 15 licences. This is going to be run as an “ascending clock” format, which means the price rises in steps until bidders withdraw, and this comes directly from the DIA.
Winners then file full licence applications from October onwards, with each licence set to cover a single grant and run for up to three years. It can also be renewed for another five years. No one operator may hold more than three licences.
When it comes to timing, the DIA says that operating restrictions on unlicensed providers will begin the first of December in 2026, with the licensing regime becoming fully operational in 2027. There’s still some confusion over whether licensed sites will take their first bets in December or early 2027. It looks like we’re still waiting for an exact launch date to be confirmed, but an advertising ban has already come into effect. No new platform providers are allowed to enter the market before the licensing framework begins.
Who Is Likely to Bid
Entain, which runs TAB NZ’s betting operations, has been the most upfront about its intentions: chief executive Stella David said in March that the group planned to apply for three licences – the maximum allowed – and Law firm True Legal’s direct Jarrod True also told one news outlet that the precise timeline appears deliberate, “prioritising an orderly transition and robust regulatory infrastructure” over speed to market.
For Kiwi players, nothing really changes immediately. We are now getting closer to a locally licensed, harm-minimization-focused online casino market that has properly begun. We will likely continue to see existing operators exiting the market, like we saw last week with SuperPartners.
Alex Smith is the lead editor and writer at DashTickets, specializing in online casino and sports betting content for New Zealand players. With over 12 years of iGaming experience, including a tenure as Head of Editorial at Casinomeister, Alex is renowned for his accurate, fair, and player-first writing style. His in-depth reviews and guides provide clear, trustworthy information to help readers make confident decisions.
There may be a significant tax increase in store for UK land-based slot machines and casinos as the proposed measure, supported by the Social Market Foundation, starts to move forward. As reported in The Guardian, the plan may generate up to £458 million per year through raising Machine Games Duty levied on Category B machines. […]
The clock is ticking, and that’s because expressions of interest for New Zealand’s online casino licences close at 11.59pm on the 14th of August 2026, ending the first stage of the country’s move from an unregulated offshore market to a licensed regime. Up to 15 licences are available under the Online Casino Gambling Act 2026, […]
Aristocrat has brought its Lightning Link series into real-money online casino gaming with Lightning Link High Stakes, a digital version of one of their most popular franchises ever, designed around the now-iconic Hold & Spin mechanic. The new title made its online debut online on the 23rd of July 2026 through Aristocrat Interactive, the group’s […]